Skip navigation links
Home
About Rockdale City Council
About Rockdale
Development
News & Events
Online Services & Payment
Contact Us
Site Disclaimer
Council Elections
Our Town Centres
print

Banksia

Location

Banksia is located 12 km south of the Sydney’s CBD. It is bounded generally by Godfrey Street, Spring Street and the Spring Canal in the north, the
Muddy Creek in the east, generally by Bestic Street and Rockdale Street in the south and generally by Wolli Creek Road and Gardiner Park in the west.

Snapshot

Banksia is named after Joseph Banks, a botanist on the Voyage of Discovery of James Cook which visited the nearby Botany Bay in 1770.

Banksia is an established residential area with some commercial land use along Princes Highway. It features mostly low density houses and some medium density blocks of flats. Banksia shopping centre consists of a small group of shops on Railway Street beside Banksia railway station.

Many of the commercial developments are part of an automotive precinct featuring car yards, auto accessory retailers, tyre shops and auto repairers. There is also a pub and take-away food stores.

One of the three heritage-listed market gardens in the area is located on West Botany Street and is amongst the oldest in New South Wales. It is amongst the last surviving examples of market gardens that flourished in Sydney, cultivated first by European settlers like the Cornish, Irish and Germans, and later by Chinese settlers.

Landmarks

Major features of the area include Barton Park, Gardiner Park, St George Soccer Stadium and Riverine Park Wetlands.

History

Banksia was part of land owned by Simeon Pearce (1821-86) and his brother James Pearce in the 1850s, which extended from Rockdale to Brighton Le Sands. Until the late nineteenth century, the area was heavily timbered but residential development began in the 1880s. One of the leading developers was Frederick Jamison Gibbes, a Member of Parliament, after whom Gibbes Street is named.

The area developed more rapidly after the railway station opened on 21st October 1906. Many names for the suburb were suggested but the final choice came from David Stead, father of novelist Christina Stead. The post office opened in August 1924.

Who lives here now?

These statistics are provided by the Australian Bureau of Statistics latest Census for the suburb of Banksia.

© Copyright 2017 Rockdale City Council. All right reserved.