Bexley North and Bardwell Park are located 13 km south of the Sydney’s CBD. Bexley North is bounded by the Wolli Creek in the north, generally by a line running continuous of Benjamin Street in the east, the Bardwell Creek, Preddys Road and generally by Stoney Creek Road in the south and a line running between Staples Street and Laycock Street in the west.
Bardwell Park is bounded by the Wolli Creek in the north, the Bardwell Creek in the east and south and generally by Benjamin Street, Barnsbury Grove, Stotts Avenue and Slades Road in the west.
Bexley North is named after James Chandler’s birthplace in Kent, England whilst Bardwell Park is named after free settler Thomas Hill Bardwell who both owned land in the area.
Bardwell Park is a predominantly residential area but features a small shopping centre around Hartill-Law Avenue and Slade Road, beside the Bardwell Park railway station.
Bexley North is mostly a residential suburb with a small shopping centre located around the intersection of Bexley Road with Slade Road and Shaw Street, close to Bexley North railway station. It features a supermarket, a pub, specialty shops, cafes and restaurants.
Major features of the areas include a school, Salvation Army College of Further Education, Kingsgrove Bexley Community Centre, Kingsgrove Avenue Reserve and Bardwell Valley Golf Club.
Thomas Hill Bardwell’s grant was originally heavily timbered and bounded by Wolli Creek, Dowling Street and Wollongong Road. In 1881, the land was auctioned and 1600 acres were subdivided. The railway station opened on the 21st September 1931 which opened up the area for home sites. The school opened in September 1943 and the post office opened in May 1946.
James Chandler was also granted 1200 acres of land which stretched from what is now Bexley North to most of Rockdale and Kogarah. Development in the area began in 1884 with the railway line to Hurstville.
These statistics are provided by the Australian Bureau of Statistics latest Census for the suburbs of Bexley North and Bardwell Park.