Skip navigation links
Home
About Rockdale City Council
About Rockdale
Development
News & Events
Online Services & Payment
Contact Us
Site Disclaimer
Council Elections
Our Town Centres
print

Kogarah and Carlton

Location

Kogarah and Carlton are located 14 km south of the Sydney’s CBD. Kogarah originally stretched to the bay but has since been divided up to form the separate suburbs of Kogarah Bay and Beverley Park.

The western section of Kogarah is bounded by the railway line in the east, generally by Union Street in the south and generally by Warialda Street in the west and north-west. The eastern section of Kogarah is bounded by Harrow Road, Schofield Street and generally by Beach Street in the north,

West Botany Street, President Avenue and the suburb of Monterey in the east, the suburb of Ramsgate in the south and Rocky Point Road and Princes Highway in the west. Part of the suburb of Kogarah is located in the Municipality of Kogarah.

Carlton is bounded generally by Ethel Street, Willison Road and Henry Street in the north, generally by Union Street and Union Lane in the east, the railway line in the south and Xenia Avenue in the west. Parts of the suburb of Carlton are located in the City of Hurstville and Municipality of Kogarah.

 

Snapshot

Kogarah is from an Aboriginal word meaning 'a place of rushes'. Often spelt "Koggerah" in early documents, the name was not officially applied to the district until after the opening of the Illawarra Railway Line in 1884.

Kogarah is a mixed use area, with residential, industrial and commercial land use and is considered to be the centre of the St George area. Kogarah is the administrative centre for the local government area of the Municipality of Kogarah, although a small part of the suburb is located in the City of Rockdale.

Kogarah is known for its large number of schools (including primary, high school and tertiary education) and health care services (including two hospitals and many medical centres). Kogarah features all types of residential developments from low density detached houses, to medium density flats and high density high-rise apartments.

Kogarah is also home to the heritage listed Toomevara Lane Chinese Market Gardens.

Carlton is an established residential area. Development of the area dates from the 1840s, although little growth occurred until the 1880s. Significant development occurred in the interwar period and post-war years. Carlton has experienced a small increase in population between 1996 and 2001, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.

Landmarks

Major features of the area include James Cook Boys High School, Moorefield Girls High School, St George College, Southern Sydney Institute of TAFE, Civic Avenue Reserve, Scarborough Park, Tindale Reserve, The School of Arts Hall and Stell Reserve.

History

Development of the area dates from 1808 when early land grants in the area were made to John Townson (1760-1835) who received 2250 acres. Although growth was slow until the 1840s as there was no access to Cooks River and the area was filled with dense forest. In 1840 a dam was constructed at Cooks River, then a road was built and land was cleared. Settlement increased, with market gardens, orchards and vineyards established. Many Chinese settlers arrived after the gold rushes of the 1850s, with land being used mainly for agricultural purposes.

Growth occurred following the opening of the railway in 1884. Significant development occurred in the 1920s and 1950s. Kogarah has experienced a relatively stable population between 1996 and 2001, the result of little change in dwelling stock and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.

Who lives here now?

These statistics are provided by the Australian Bureau of Statistics latest Census for the suburbs of Kogarah and Carlton.

© Copyright 2017 Rockdale City Council. All right reserved.