Skip navigation links
Home
About Rockdale City Council
About Rockdale
Development
News & Events
Online Services & Payment
Contact Us
Site Disclaimer
Council Elections
Our Town Centres
print

Ramsgate and Ramsgate Beach

Location

Ramsgate is located 16km south of the Sydney’s CBD and is part of the St George area. Ramsgate Beach is a separate suburb, to the east, and is surrounded by the suburbs of Monterey, Ramsgate and Sans Souci.
Lady Robinson Beach and Cook Park run along the eastern border. Ramsgate is surrounded by the suburbs of Ramsgate Beach, Monterey, Kogarah, Beverley Park and Sans Souci.

Snapshot

Ramsgate and Ramsgate Beach, named after a seaside resort in England, are established residential areas with some commercial land use along Rocky Point Road and an industrial area in Production Avenue. Part of the suburb of Ramsgate is located in the Municipality of Kogarah on the west side of Rocky Point Road. There is a shopping strip on Rocky Point Road, near the intersection with Ramsgate Road. Another shopping strip, including a supermarket, is located at Ramsgate Beach, on Ramsgate Road, near The Grand Parade. Ramsgate RSL Club is located near this shopping strip.

Development of the area dates primarily from the 1850s, although little growth occurred until the late 1800s when land was subdivided and many country villas were built by wealthy people near the beach. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years. Ramsgate and Ramsgate Beach have both experienced an increase in population between 1996 and 2001, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.

Landmarks

Major features of the area include a school, Ramsgate Beach Plaza Shopping Centre, Cook Park, Scarborough Park, Leo Smith Reserve, Tonbridge Street Reserve and the Baths.

History

Patrick Moore was granted 60 acres of land in 1812. Scarborough Park was created in the 1830s from part of Pat Moore's Swamp, and it was named by the Hon. Thomas Holt after the English coastal town of Scarborough, Yorkshire and the First Fleet convict ship which was briefly anchored in Botany Bay in 1788.

The area that Ramsgate is located between Cooks River and Georges River was originally known as Seven Mile Beach. It was changed to Lady Robinsons Beach in 1874 to honour the wife of Governor Sir Hercules Robinson.

Who lives here now?

These statistics are provided by the Australian Bureau of Statistics latest Census for the suburbs of Ramsgate and Ramsgate Beach.

© Copyright 2017 Rockdale City Council. All right reserved.