Skip navigation links
About Rockdale City Council
About Rockdale
News & Events
Online Services & Payment
Contact Us
Site Disclaimer
Council Elections
Our Town Centres

Footpaths, Roads and Public Places

What is a public place?

A public place is defined as - among other things - a public road, bridge or public reserve, including a public wharf or boat ramp and Crown reserve land.

If you want to undertake any types of works or activity within a public place, you will need to make one or more applications under the Roads Act 1993 or Local Government Act 1993. Applications can be made at Council's Customer Service Centre, 444-446 Princes Highway, Rockdale.

Examples of work in public places that you need to apply for include:

  • operating a crane or concrete pump
  • storing building materials
  • constructing kerb and gutter
  • constructing a vehicular crossing (such as a driveway from the street to your property)
  • using the nature strip or road carriageway to assist in your activity

© Copyright 2018 Rockdale City Council. All right reserved.